Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Older Daughter adjustment problem on new arrival
AhsanYousuf posted:
My daughter aged 3 is not adjusted with the new arrival (1 month 20 days). She use to beat her even in front of her parents. She use to shout for any thing she want and can not be provided at that time.

Her schooling started before birth of her sister. Before birth of her sister she was happy when going to school. Now she cry every morning not to go school, even her entire stay at school.

I being father doesn't give time to younger daughter but talk to older daughter daily when reach home from office, so that she doesn't feel neglected but her mother's time has to be spent more on newborn.

Please advice who to cope up this issue and my older daughter feel comfortable as usual and settled with new arrival in the family.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Ahsan and Welcome -

First of all, congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

See these resources for tips to help your 3 year old and family through this adjustment -

Preparing Siblings for Baby's Arrival
Sibling Training Program - Video

One piece of advice I heard - When the newborn is crying or fussing and you are playing with your older child. Look over to the infant and say "I'm sorry I can't get you right now, I'm playing with your sister. I will be there in 3 minutes." The older child will feel important at that moment and not as upset when you leave to pick up the newborn.

Our members in our Parenting: 3 Year Old Community may also have suggestions. Please repost your concerns over there for more response.

Be sure to check back in to let us know how things are going,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.