Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Fever in twins for over a month and a half?
rosegrzanich posted:
My 23 month old twin girls have been running a fever (rectal) of 100-105.5 at its' worst. Today they had tubes put in their ears because they have been having chronic ear infections due to congestion that has turned into perfurated ear drums.They started daycare about 2 months ago. One of my girls ran a fever tonight of 104.3 (rectal) after having the tubes put in. I do not take the girls to the doctor with each high fever, but I do call their pediatrician. Tonight I called the hospital and was told if the fever does not come down to bring her in. I am always able to get the fever into a safe range on both of the girls, however they do not seem to be going away.They may go 1-2 days without a fever, but the fever always returns. Both girls have had fevers so high that they get a rash from the neck down to the diaper. So far, they have not had any seizures with the fevers, but that is what I fear. To the doctors out there please give me something to ask the pediatrician. I always get told it is viral and will run its course but that is not happening. I am at a loss. Please share your knowledge.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
You raise some good questions.

First, though, I want to correct this idea that you need to get the fever into a "safe zone," or that there is some kind of fever that is itself unsafe. Fever is a symptom, usually caused by infection, and itself it does NOT cause any harm or problems. In the way-past, before vaccines, many fevers were caused by very serious infections that themselves were harmful. This is no longer the case, at least not in immunized children.

There are seizures that can be triggered by fevers in susceptible children, but even these aren't harmful. And if your girls were prone to these, you'd already know. Whether a fever triggers a seizures isn't because the fever reaches a certain height, it's because of the built-in, genetic risk of the child.

For more about fevers, "fever phobia," and a detailed fever action plan see these posts: http://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/?s=%22fever part%22

Now, the bigger question to me is, why do your girls keep getting so many fevers? More in a moment.....

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
The question I think you and your doctors need to focus on is why your girls keep getting so many fevers. I can suggest some possibilities, but I really can't say for sure without a detailed exam. Still, it's probably one of these things:

1. Some kind of ongoing, prolonged infection-- perhaps a continued ear infection, or an infection hidden somewhere else that no one has looked for yet, like a urinary tract infection.

2. A series of unrelated infections, one after another. This can be very frustrating, but is certainly something we see, especially in children in day care. The single best "test" for this may be to withdraw them from group care for a month or so and see what happens to all of these fevers. I know that isn't always practical.

3. Really weird stuff-- rarely, fevers are caused by things other than infections, or are caused by truly remarkably difficult to find or diagnose infections. Very, very rare.

I suggest you see your pediatrician (not the ER) with these questions in mind, to see if you can figure out what's going on here.

Best of luck!!

rosegrzanich replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your insight. The twins will be going on Tuesday to see their ENT, and then next week to their Peditritian for their 2 year well check. It has been 2 weeks almost since the have had the tubes put in and the fevers are always at a low grade now 99-101. I will discuss a UTI with their peditrician. They do not have any signs of one, but that has not been ruled out yet. I avoid the ER at all costs due to the bad germs that lurk around the hospital. I hope we never end up there again. Once again, thank you for your insight. I will keep you and everyone else posted on the findings.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.