Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    27 months old kid still refuses to eat solid food
    Raghavsmom posted:
    My son who is 27 months old, cannot eat solids.I still give him Mashed food(homemade). He can sing poems but cannot talk.I Have no idea what to do. He drink milk from a glass. Very active kid and cannot sit at one place. Eats only puree food. When I give him solids, he simply refuses it.
    Please help
    fcl responded:
    I had that with one of my daughters. She refused everything but mashed or pur?ed food. It turned out to be a whim she had with me - she ate perfectly normally at the creche! However, if youi don't see it it's hard to believe. She eventually gave herself a way one day when she grabbed her sisters corn on the cob and proceeded to wolf it!

    Having said that there are some very real causes for this. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? Your son may have sensory issues with textures (among other possibilities) ... I would have that checked just in case.
    fcl replied to fcl's response:
    PS - Sorry. I missed the part about not speaking. If I were you I'd get in touch with Early Intervention for a full assessment (including the not eating solids). It may be nothing at all but if there is a problem they will be able to help and the sooner you get help, the sooner you can solve the problem

    Good luck!
    Roy Benaroch, MD replied to fcl's response:
    I agree w/ FCL, a comprehensive developmental eval is needed, and it's usually best accessed thru the state or county Early Intervention program. Contact your pediatrician for more information about getting plugged in, the sooner the better.

    Helpful Tips

    Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 26 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.