Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
27 months old kid still refuses to eat solid food
Raghavsmom posted:
My son who is 27 months old, cannot eat solids.I still give him Mashed food(homemade). He can sing poems but cannot talk.I Have no idea what to do. He drink milk from a glass. Very active kid and cannot sit at one place. Eats only puree food. When I give him solids, he simply refuses it.
Please help

fcl responded:
I had that with one of my daughters. She refused everything but mashed or pur?ed food. It turned out to be a whim she had with me - she ate perfectly normally at the creche! However, if youi don't see it it's hard to believe. She eventually gave herself a way one day when she grabbed her sisters corn on the cob and proceeded to wolf it!

Having said that there are some very real causes for this. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? Your son may have sensory issues with textures (among other possibilities) ... I would have that checked just in case.

fcl replied to fcl's response:
PS - Sorry. I missed the part about not speaking. If I were you I'd get in touch with Early Intervention for a full assessment (including the not eating solids). It may be nothing at all but if there is a problem they will be able to help and the sooner you get help, the sooner you can solve the problem

Good luck!

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to fcl's response:
I agree w/ FCL, a comprehensive developmental eval is needed, and it's usually best accessed thru the state or county Early Intervention program. Contact your pediatrician for more information about getting plugged in, the sooner the better.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.