Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Failure To Thrive-14months @ 17lbs
AmericanDad24 posted:
Requesting guidance on this issue from knowing sources. I would like to hear how people have dealt with their children's lack of appetite issues and minimal milestone progressions.
Daughter symptoms:
17lbs, 28in, at 14 months. No protruding stomach. No listlessness. neg loose stool/blood.
Is completely disinterested in food. Does not eat when offered food AT ALL. Barely eats 800 c a day. Drinks pediasures approx 2 p/day.
Have tried increasing caloric intake with additions to no avail.
The problem appears to lie with the lack of food to mouth action rather than an internal problem. No current diag of celiac or condition. No current diag of autism.
daughter seems depressed.

Please help.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome Dad -

While waiting on others to respond I wanted to pass along this older discussion you may be interested in -

19 month old weighs 19 pounds

You mentioned she seems depressed. Can you share a little more about how she plays and responds to others interacting with her?

Elizabeth

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I don't think there is going to be a quick answer or quick fix here. I'm assuming she's already had a comprehensive medical evaluation that should include input from a pediatric gastroenterologist. Assuming that there is no specific medical diagnosis that can be found, I would pursue therapy through a "feeding clinic"-- most large cities have these, often through a University teaching hospital. These are multidisciplinary clinics for feeding issues where families work with docs and therapists frequently (several times a week).

Best of luck!

AmericanDad24 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Doc,
You're spot on. After we switched pediatricians our new one had us admitted to the hospital. After 5 days of tests, tubes, and draws we're out. Determining nothing readily wrong aside from dehydration and underweight. No celiac, no allergy, no lack of function. We have countless follow up appts with various departments but its leaning toward a psych issue more than anything. Although my wife and I have really tried a lot of different ways to feed and hydrate her already, she seems to be improving here at home somewhat.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to AmericanDad24's response:
It's going to be a long haul, with ups and downs and steps forward and steps back. BUT-- in the long run-- with good help and support and a lot of patience, you will see your daughter getting better.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.