Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Frequent urination
divya10 posted:
Hello Dr. Benaroch,
I have read your numerous posts related to the possible causes of frequent urination that have certainly helped me ease my anxiety towards my son who is now 4 1/2 years old. I still wanted to post this just in case if you believe his case is different.
For the last 3 months he has been urinating frequently (4-6 times) in the night pretty consistently and bed wetting at least once (the other times we wake him up and take him to the restroom). His frequency of urination is absolutely normal during the day time. He has been eating well, is pretty active, no weight loss, and has not complained about anything. It didn't strike to me until couple of days ago that I should still probably check with his pediatrician. I took him to his pediatrician today and his urine results came out negative with no sign of glucose. I asked the doctor if we can check the blood sugar but he insisted that the urine test would have shown if the level was high. And then he suggested that we wait 15 days and if this continues, then he will probably do a blood test. If there is no sign of glucose in the urine, does that certainly rule out diabetes?
I have read your posts about dysfunctional voiding and hopeful that its nothing more than that. Can you please take a moment and help me understand on what possibly may be going on with him and if its necessary for me to take him for a blood test?

Thank you!

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
An office dipstick urinalysis is a very simple, cheap, accurate test-- and it will just about always show an elevated glucose in a child with untreated diabetes. I suppose nothing is 100%. It would be possible to see a "false negative" if the urine were very dilute, say if the child had been drinking a ton of water. Or maybe if the little dipstick strip had been exposed to warmth or was expired or something like that. But it's a really good test, and ordinarily you can rely on it.

RE: frequent night urination (without daytime frequency), think about whether something else could be waking him. he may be urinating just as a habitual "thing to do" after he wakes, even if a full bladder isn't what woke him up (many adults do this, too.) Perhaps the cold is waking him up, or something else you might be able to fix.

Best of luck!

divya10 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you very much Dr. Benaroch for your prompt response. I actually did make him drink extra water before the appointment so that he senses the urgency to pass urine at the time of the appointment. But hopefully not to the extent that it led to "false negative". Do you think I should still take him for the blood work in couple of weeks time just to be sure?

When he started frequent urination, the first thing came to my mind was may be its the cold. My younger one is 3 years old and he has a very similar eating, drinking, and sleeping habits as my older one but my younger one sleeps through the night at the same room temperature without urinating even once. Because of this I ruled out cold to be the reason for frequent urination. But then I guess its quite possible every kid is different.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.