Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
My 5 yr old son has had stomach pain for 8 days
kaynbray1 posted:
My 5 yr old son has had stomach pain for 8 days now, it started last Saturday night and he had diarhhea once when it started and did not have it again. I have been to three different doctors and the last was our pediatrician, no vomiting no fever. They did blood work and xrays and said all was clear not impacted. But yet he still has the stomach pain and it's worse at night and we are up multiple times in the middle of the night started mirilax and probiotic ... Any advice would be appreciated or any suggestions on what this could be??

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kaynbray1 -

I am so sorry to hear your son is having this pain. Have the doctors given any indication or suggested any other follow-up?

See these resources for more information -

Abdominal Pain, Age 11 and Younger
Belly Aches: What Should You Do?
Belly Aches: Causes and Cures

Please keep us posted about what you find out and how he is doing, sharing your experience may help others.

Elizabeth

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm just kind of musing here-- maybe some will agree or disagree-- but sometimes I think docs are better at saying what something isn't, than what something is.

I do a fair amount of second-opinion and consultative peds, and I hear this sort of thing a lot: they did all these tests, and they say it's not xxx and not yyy, and it can't be zzz. The docs "rule out" the stuff that we think is scariest, but meanwhile the kid is still having the symptoms and no one has told the parents what's going on. Or at least not in a way that helps the parents understand, or helps the child feel better.

Anyway, that's just a general observation. I really don't have a guess as to what might be going on with this case. Without the whole history and the physical exam and the results of all of these tests, I'm not really in a better position to give an informed opinion than the doctors right there. My best advice: return to the same docs who've seen the child already, and say, "now what?"

Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.