Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
My ADHD child
crystald2 posted:
My child was recently diagnosed with ADHD. She has been on 3 or 4 different medicines and has recently started Ritalin. She still seems to be really hyper but she has only been taking it for a couple of days so im waiting to see if the medicine works. My concern is she has "episodes" where she has very very bad tantrums especially when it comes to my mother. She doesnt want to leave her. She has tried to jump out of the moving car after her and a few days ago she ran around our apartment complex trying to catch her when she drove off. I should add my child is 5 years old. Normally she is a very good child although she does have some behavioral issues i assume comes from being a child. I really want to know if these tantrums come from the ADHD or if i need to seek more medical attention about it. I am concerned for her safety and disciplining her does not help at all. Her doctor said she had behavioral issues and said if the ritalin doesnt help she will have to see a counselor. At this point i dont really know if it will help. She hasnt been through anything terribly traumatic so i dont understand where its coming from. If anyone has any ideas that could help i would greatly appreciate it.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
One "symptom" of ADHD is impulsivity-- acting before thinking about the consequences. It sounds like your child is quite impulsive, even to the point of putting herself in danger.

The primary therapy usually recommended for ADHD in children < 6 is behavioral; if that doesn't help, a combination of behavioral and medicine therapy is the next step.

Certainly, I think there ought to be extra concern here because of safety issues, and I agree that aggressive management is warranted.

Are you seeing a qualified child psychiatrist, or (even better) working with a clinic that helps young children with behavioral problems and offers access to psychiatrists, medical doctors, therapists, play therapists, etc? A "team approach" is best, especially for young children.

crystald2 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
The treatment she has received so far has just been from the family doctor. He has said if the medicine she has started now doesnt even her moods out then she will need counseling. I am not a big fan of putting my child on medication but i know that sometimes its needed im kind of at a loss i have never had to deal with this but i am extremely concerned for her safety

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.