Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

misery must love company
doubledose posted:
Hello,
i'm a mother of a 19 month old and soon to be new mommy. my son about a week ago contracted the hand, foot and mouth disease. he has these god aweful blood red bumps appear all over his body. it wasn't in his mouth thank goodness but he had it on his face, ears, neck, back, arms, hands, legs but and feet. (best cure for the ones on the butt and genitals for babies is a product called butt paste. it's sold in a store called deals for a dollar. i used this for every diaper rash and every kind of rash for my son. when i applied a good helping on the rash for two days it disapeared completely. i've been applyin callamine lotion every were else on him but it didnt work so welll so now im trying the butt paste on his blisters now. now, my husband contracted this aweful infection and he is miserable i have tried everything to avoid this blasted virus and thought i prevailed only to find out i did contract it just not on my hands feet or mouth, instead i caught it on my gentitals im currently trying the butt paste as i would for my child and so far no itching and no blister popping. i'd like to know though is how to avoid catching it again if at all possible. i mean my mother in law is determined that her kids didnt have this but i see the bumps and blisters the kids had i am not one to argue but i'd love to have this gone soon.

fcl responded:
The best way to avoid catching it again is to practice scrupulous hygiene - wash your hands often. There isn't much more you can do.

As for your MIL, it doesn't matter whether or not her kids got it, the point is that yours has. I'ts a viral condition that is pretty easy to catch (as you've found out for yourself).

Remember to keep your little one hydrated (I hope he's getting better - maybe give your pedi a visit for a more effective treatment for his blisters?).

Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.