Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Question about "holding it" in
jacksmama0709 posted:
By "holding it" in I mean peeing. I just couldn't think of a polite title for this question.

I have a very strong willed 3 year old. He will not stop long enough to go potty. It's incredibly frustrating to my DH and myself because we feel like we're constantly fighting him to go to the bathroom. He's not afraid of it, it doesn't hurt him to go and he rarely ever wets his pants, he simply just doesn't want to stop playing or doing whatever it is he's doing, to go. He'll go four or five hours or more during the day before he'll decide to go. He'll sleep through the night (9-10 hours), without going, then he'll wait another hour or more in the morning before we can get him to go. My question is, are we wasting our time by fighting this, or should we just let him be and let him go when he is ready to go? Like I said, he doesn't wet his pants, but I'm a little concerned that he'll develope a UTI from holding it in so long. How long is too long? We'll just let him be if it's not going to hurt him. Oh, and yes, he does drink plenty during the day too.

Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.