Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Calling step dad "dad"
    An_249906 posted:
    I have 2 ds ages 9 & 5. Their father passed away when they were 7 & 3. I have been together now with my fiancé for about a year and he would really like for them to call him dad because he feels that they are just like his sons. They still call him by his first name and I, too, refer to him by his first name, not by daddy. They know that their father passed away and still refer to him as daddy. I am not sure what to do. I told them that they can call him whatever they were comfortable with. We also have a 5 month old dd together. When writing in school, they will refer to my fiancé as "dad". Also, my late husbands parents are a little bitter about our family life and I am not sure what they are saying when the boys are together with them. If they called my fiancé daddy in front of them I think things wouldn't go over so well. I need some advice. I don't want to push but my fiancé loves them like his own and would love it if they referred to him as "dad".

    Helpful Tips

    Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 26 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.