Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
mmr vaccine
dawndave posted:
The middle school where my daughter attends told us that her second dose of mmr vaccine was given when she was 3, has been given when she was to young so they want her to get a third vaccine of it. Is it harmful?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Wow, we get more vaccine questions here than anything else! I don't mind-- keep 'em coming!

Would it be harmful? No. An extra dose isn't extra-dangerous, and has no more chance of side effects than any other routine vaccine.

However, having had the second dose at age 3 is NOT too early. CDC guidelines recommend a first dose of MMR at about age 1 (actually, any time after the 12 month birthday), and a second dose 4 weeks or more after the first dose. That second dose is traditionally given at age 4-5, but can be given earlier. As long as it is 4 weeks or more past the 1st dose, it "counts", and does NOT need to be repeated at age 4.

This is the official CDC recommendation for vaccine schedule for children: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/0-6yrs-schedule-bw.pdf

Note footnote 8 about MMR timing.

Now, private schools are free to make their own policies; and even public schools may follow their own school board recs that may not exactly match the "official" CDC rec. Still, that CDC rec really should be the best resource for parents and pediatricians and schools to follow.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.