Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
my six and a half year old son still soils himself..PLEASE HELP!!
babygurl12901 posted:
I'm in need of help, tips, advice anything that will help. My son has just gone completely back to soiling his pants and he was doing so good. I have taken thing's away from him(playing on the computer and the playstation) and nothing is working. We live with my mother and she(my mother) always buys him happy meals when she gets her money every month, and now she has told him she won't until he starts going to the bathroom on the toilet. The fact that she is taking away the happy meals doesn't even seem to bother him! And when he soils himself, he sits in it! That doesn't bother him at all and it's very frustrating because I'm at the end of my rope where i just wanna put him in pull ups when he gets home from school and i know that would not be good to do at all, so I'm not going to do that. Now I'm pregnant with my second child, I'm due in July. Just for the record my son was doing this way before i was pregnant. So please I'm begging PLEASE HELP ME!!

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

I am sure this is very frustrating, and you need to get to the root of this.

I will paste some links for you to explore......but I would also take him to his pediatrician and discuss all the information/patterns/ and behaviors of your son and see what advice/direction he can give you.

http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Problems With Soiling and Bowel Control&section=Facts for Families

http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/Site835/mainpageS835P0.html

Take care!!
-Kathleen

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to momuv4girls's response:
I like that second link especially. Good tone. It's hard for parents not to get overwrought over this, and that makes everything worse. This is one of those things where the first step is some deep, calming breaths.

Then go see the pediatrician for some good, first-hand advice.

Meanwhile, read what you can about "encopresis". You can use the search box here at WebMD-- it's been discussed several times on this forums.

And keep in mind that he's not not doing this because he's lazy or wants to make you upset. He's doing this because he genuinely cannot tell when he's passing stool. This happens when the rectum is full all of the time with chronic constipation. You can work through this with love and patience and support. Punishing and shaming will not help.

Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Son Peeing
I have a suggestion for the parents with the boy that is peeing in the house. Maybe he needs the "freedom" of peeing. I would let him go ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.