Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
constipation after surgery
madisonsmom posted:
My daughter is nine years old. she had her tonsils, adnoids, and septic surgery done on February first. She was put on Hydrocodone liquid every four hours. I was dirrected to administer this even if she was sleeping to wake up and give to her. We did this for eleven days. After the medication was stopped , she immediately had severe stomache pain. She was unable to eat, and very nausiated. I carried her to Dr. on Thursday of last week. They said to give her fleet supositories, and miralax. I did this for Thursday , and Friday with no response. Saturday morning I gave adult enema with no response. Took her to emergence room on Saturday. After five hours, bucket of molasses and milk enema....no response. We were sent home with magnesium drink. no response. back to hospital on sunday, five hours bucket of warm soapy enema and magnesium drink. no response. only liquid put in, back out. Home with ememas, colace, and stomache cramp medice. She has not eat in Several days. Barely able to drink....... What is my next step.?

mountainmom48 responded:
Has your daughter had a bowel movement at all since the surgery? If not, you need to go to the ER. She needs to have an xray to see about a blockage, an ileus, find out why her gut is not moving. Hydrocodone or any narcotic drug can contribute to constipation, but this sounds much more severe than that if she hasn't had a BM at all since the surgery. I think your next step is to call the surgeon's office and your pediatrician and ask how to procede. Being constipated for several weeks is one thing; a gut not moving since surgery is a very significant other thing.

Good luck! Hope you update.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to mountainmom48's response:
I agree, you ought to be in touch with the surgeon and your pediatrician. This isn't a normal, expected complication of surgery, and this is way out of proportion of what to expect with narcotic pain relievers.

BTW, I'm not familiar with the term "septic surgery." What is that?

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.