Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

What is going on with my five year old?
sarajware posted:
Recently my five year old has been acting out. She is consistently not listening and fighting with me on everything. The other day she sat on her one year old brothers back and he started freaking out. When I yelled at her and asked her why she did it she replied "because he likes it." Then yesterday she spat in her step sisters hair and when I asked her why she said "because I didn't like her haircut." I am so confused and overwhelmed. I don't know why she is acting like this. Can someone give me some guidance please? I don't know what to do.

greenstrawberry responded:
Hi Sara,
I hope I can put your mind to rest a little. I work in a Kindergarten (in Switzerland, kids from age 2 to 6) and have seen children pick up bad habits in no time.
A few months ago a new child with severe authority problems (6 years old!) joined our class. His arrival has managed to disrupt the harmony we have had for the past 2 years and I sadly witnessed v well behaved children changing and adopting this new child's behaviour within a few weeks. Some parents came to us and were worried of their kids sudden 'behaviour change' (ie: defying authority, answering back, saying 'no', etc). So your daughter must have seen and picked up this type of bad behaviour from somewhere. It is important you do not let her cross the line, children like to test and need limits, it is reassuring for them to have clear set limits. I hope this helped.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.