Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Musician with same problem
rsumrall posted:
Same problem. I am a degreed musician, saxophonist, and music teacher. I had to be deferred from string class in college because I could not play the violin or viola. The problem is in both hands, although in the left much more. I played ukelele in elementary school and guitar in college, but struggled greatly. In college, a gymnastics instructor pointed my issue out and told me my tendons were too tight.

All of the doctors I have discussed this with ask me if I've had an injury to my arm. I have not, and they have a hard time believing it has been this way since birth.

At age 56 I am trying to take up the guitar again. The tendons are even tighter and I cannot play even as I used to. My rhuematologist suggested a procedure where I am put to sleep and my arms are twisted to "break the scar tissue in my arm and put it back to its original rotation". At this point, I am not buying it. That is a solution based on an injury I do not have, so I do not trust the outcome. I will be seeking a detailed analysis of the problem and a satisfactory solution. I will post back when I find one, if I do.

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.