Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Aspergers in your child. Never stop looking for answers.
    LivingWithAspergers posted:
    Let's face it. There is a medical term for every 'quirk' out there. And people in general have quirks.
    But when its your kid and those quirks totally rearrange your life something is WRONG.
    When a swat or a firm talking to only exacerbates the problem.. something is WRONG.
    Since my son's birth I've questioned his behavior to his pedi. Only to hear, "He's just a boy. He needs a firm hand. Why, when I was his age......" UGH!
    Due to an illness two Dr.'s are checking my son. I see a knowing look pass between them. AHA! I'm gonna ask THEM! I did. I began to babble like I never had someone to talk to. Truth is... they were listening and I was gunning to get it all out there! They were so patient. They said that they too saw things. I bawled like a baby.
    Eight years. EIGHT YEARS I looked for answers and was sure I'd get some now. A year later and some tests we are in occupational therapy. My son has aspergers syndrome and sensory processing disorder.
    I feel so many years were taken from us because some Dr. compared my son's reactions to life to his own experiences as a child.
    You know your child better than anyone. If there is one message I'd like to get out there it's this.... if you know that something is up keep looking until someone listens and says "Let's find out."
    It's amazing what a little bit of therapy has done for my son. We're still at it, going strong. It's never too late.
    You are your child's best advocate. Dig in and fight if you have to.

    Helpful Tips

    Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
    Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.