Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Aspergers in your child. Never stop looking for answers.
LivingWithAspergers posted:
Let's face it. There is a medical term for every 'quirk' out there. And people in general have quirks.
But when its your kid and those quirks totally rearrange your life something is WRONG.
When a swat or a firm talking to only exacerbates the problem.. something is WRONG.
Since my son's birth I've questioned his behavior to his pedi. Only to hear, "He's just a boy. He needs a firm hand. Why, when I was his age......" UGH!
Due to an illness two Dr.'s are checking my son. I see a knowing look pass between them. AHA! I'm gonna ask THEM! I did. I began to babble like I never had someone to talk to. Truth is... they were listening and I was gunning to get it all out there! They were so patient. They said that they too saw things. I bawled like a baby.
Eight years. EIGHT YEARS I looked for answers and was sure I'd get some now. A year later and some tests we are in occupational therapy. My son has aspergers syndrome and sensory processing disorder.
I feel so many years were taken from us because some Dr. compared my son's reactions to life to his own experiences as a child.
You know your child better than anyone. If there is one message I'd like to get out there it's this.... if you know that something is up keep looking until someone listens and says "Let's find out."
It's amazing what a little bit of therapy has done for my son. We're still at it, going strong. It's never too late.
You are your child's best advocate. Dig in and fight if you have to.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.