Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Looking for a little advice...
neergl66 posted:
Hello,
My son came home from school today with green marker all over his shirt. He told me that he had been sucking on the marker in class. How a teacher can allow a 6 year old to sit in class and suck on a marker right in front of her is beyond me. In any event, I'm a little concerned. I'm not sure if I should take him to the ER as a precaution or not. He hasn't complained of any stomach pain, or anything to that nature at all. Is taking him to the ER a bit extreme at this point?

Thank you

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Those school markers are usually non-toxic and harmless.

If you ever have concern about a toxic exposure, poisoning, or accidental ingestion of any kind, call the national poison control center immediately for advice: 1-800-222-1222.

I don't think posting on a board like this while deciding whether to take your child to an emergency room is the best way to help make a decision. Call your doctor, or call poison control-- don't wait to see if anyone answers a bulletin board post.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.