Hello, My son came home from school today with green marker all over his shirt. He told me that he had been sucking on the marker in class. How a teacher can allow a 6 year old to sit in class and suck on a marker right in front of her is beyond me. In any event, I'm a little concerned. I'm not sure if I should take him to the ER as a precaution or not. He hasn't complained of any stomach pain, or anything to that nature at all. Is taking him to the ER a bit extreme at this point?
Those school markers are usually non-toxic and harmless.
If you ever have concern about a toxic exposure, poisoning, or accidental ingestion of any kind, call the national poison control center immediately for advice: 1-800-222-1222.
I don't think posting on a board like this while deciding whether to take your child to an emergency room is the best way to help make a decision. Call your doctor, or call poison control-- don't wait to see if anyone answers a bulletin board post.
The opinions expressed in WebMD Communities are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. Communities are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.
Do not consider Communities as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.