Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

childhood memories......
An_250877 posted:
How far back does anyone think a child can recall memories from their childhood?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I have no idea but I know I have been able remember things when I was around 2 years old (I was pushed off of a set of outside stairs by my cousin and broke my leg). I remember where it happened and everything. And several other memories as well as a young child.

itsashayduh responded:
I have memories from as young as 1 year old. I remember my mother having my baby brother and the dog we had around that time among other things. The funny thing is that when i bring things up to my dad about things that i remember and he is just amazed.

lissab91 responded:
My earliest memories stem back to when I was about two or three. They are very short and seem to only lasts about a couple of minutes at a time but I feel as though I have a ton of them. I went through a period of time when I was about two when I had nightmares basically every night and would rush down to my parents room. I also have memories of sneaking into my refridgerator late at night to snack on leftovers when I was about the same age. It's very weird but my oldest and most vivid memories seem to have happened at night or when I was experiencing extreme emotions such as alot of fear (for instance, the nightmare experiences). I once heard that if events or moments in your life occur and you feel a strong emotion you are more likely to remember it, which seems very true in this case.

scperdomo7 responded:
I can recall memories from as early as 2 and 3 yrs old, I believe. As another poster stated, most seem to have strong emotion attached to them. I almost drowned when I was about 3 and I can recall that memory pretty clearly.

An_251607 responded:
I am not sure. I remember when I was @4 and fell and broke my arm. I remember the Dr. I also remember around this same age I think I remember walking to store near my house and going a wrong turn and getting lost. A man scared me but he went and told my Mother that I went the wrong way and she came to get me.

MyHaloisCrookedNotCracked responded:
How far back? Interesting! They "should" do an extensive study on this question. I wouldn't be surprised if children can remember their own birth. I'm 63 years old. My earliest memory was before I was a year old. I was being held in my mother's arms as she was feeding me with a baby bottle. She wanted to see if I could say, "Mama." My mind's thought was, "If I start to talk, you won't treat me like a baby anymore." I remember that I was too young to hold the bottle by myself. As my personality started to develope, my mother (years later) told me I was a very stubborn child, with a mean streak. (Toddler age, that is.)

An_251552 responded:
when I was two I remember going to an unfinished house with my cousins and my other cousin was moving a lot there then he hit his head on a wood with a nail on it. lol I remember it like a movie

ReneFern responded:
I can recall childhood memories from when I was like 2 years old, only a few, then again age 4-5. From age 5 on I have many memories.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.