Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Child w/ severe mental retardation/ brain defect
Anon_183567 posted:
I have a daughter almost 6. When I was 8 months pregnant with her she was diagnosed with a rare brain defect. This brain defect caused severe mental retardation. The brain defect is still present.There is a possibility she may have epilepsy as well but her neurolgist hasn't made that determination yet. She is non speaking and currently taking medications for the prevention of migraines. At this point her neurolgist is not sure if its a standard migraine or migraine as it reltes to epilepy. Now for my question...

She has been on these meds since Dec 2012 then adjusted to a higher dosage (for the same prescription) in Feb 2013. Since then she has been having bizarre outbursts to the point i'm scared to be near her. One minute she is fine, the next she snaps. She is SCREAMING (think Led Zeplin if you like rock music) and crying. She is hitting herself, her head with her hands, baning her head against the couch, kicking (she has kicked me), running up/ bouncing agianst the wall. She is super strong and at some point will likely put a hole in the wall.I've tried holding her during theses episodes but she pushes me away. This is bizarre because she is always very loving to me. If I'm sitting anywhere near her at this time, I usually i get kicked. To a stranger it might look like a tantrum but it is not. One minute she is fine sitting on the couch, the next she snaps These episodes happen once or twice per day. Because of her special needs I am a full time homemaker while my husband works. Its a full time job taking care of her.

Her medication is for the prevention of migraines (and an antihistamine). I was looking at the side effects and it said something about halucinations and convulsions. I have no idea if she is having these because she is unable to speak and would not be able to explain it if she could. I dont see what she is doing as convulstions. Could her episodes be related to halucinations? How likely can a 6 year old child with brain abnormality/ mental retardation have Schizophrenia? My husband has asked me this and it doesn't seem likely at her young age but with all her issues with her brain since before she was born I am now wondering.

She has a routine appointment with her neurologist next month.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Any child with a brain defect is at an increased risk for seizures. The episodes you describe sound very much like those that occur with seizures arising from the temporal lobe.

I would be sure to discuss this with her neurologist

Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.