Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Religious parents and adult children
SEL2682 posted:
I am the oldest child out of five children in my family. We are adult children at the ages of 21, 24, 26, 28, and 30. At Christmas this year, my brother told my mother that he does not believe in God and that religion is not a priority for him right now. The other three children do not attend church and don't worship as a high priority list either. When visiting my parents for a weekend, most often, the adult children refuse to go to church. They feel like my parents are inflicting their religion on them, even though we grew up with a pretty fundamental interpretation of Christianity. I do attend church by choice, however, have more liberal beliefs on certain topics than my parents. After the incident at Christmas, my mother has been struggling with the feelings of feeling that she has failed as a parent because her children did not adopt the values and beliefs she has taught us. She feels that it is her fault and that her children are going to hell because they do not believe. She is to the point where she is bottling her feelings up and refuses to seek counseling or talk with a pastor about it. She opened up to me a little bit finally, but she did not feel it was appropriate to be talking with me about it. I am afraid that she is in a significant depression and withdrawing. I do not feel she is to the point of hurting herself, due to her religious beliefs. She does not feel like she can even talk with my dad about this. Has anybody been in this situation? How do I help my mother out of her misery and tell my siblings to have more respect for our parents?

Take the Poll

If you are a parent and consider yourself religious, did your adult children adopt your values and beliefs? Do you feel like you have failed as a parent
  • Yes/Yes
  • Yes/No
  • No/Yes
  • No/No
vote
View Poll Results

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.