Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Why is my 4 1/2 year old so shy?
Depane posted:
My 4 1/2 year old is very active, friendly and for the most part, happy when he's at home. He's been involved with sports for a few years now and over the last few weeks hes become unbelievably shy in the middle of their practice o game. For example, he's 11 weeks into a soccer camp for kids his age and last week after 35 minutes of playing just fine, they asked him to put a scrimmage jersey on and he refused. He sat in the side while the other kids played because he wouldn't put the jersey on. Then today, in the same soccer league he was fine for 10 minutes then all of a sudden he wouldn't make eye contact with the coach, wouldn't do the drills and eventually just sat here and wouldn't participate. Again, he is 11 weeks in with the same coach and kids and for the most part, he's done very well. We've also had similar issues in he past month or so in other sporting groups he participates in. Specifically in a basketball camp for 4 and 5 year olds he refused to go out and do anything the first day, we actually left because he wouldn't let go of my leg and go play ... He was the oldest kidn the class. It isn't because he doesn't like to play because when we are at home, all he wants to do is play football, soccer, basketball, etc. my wife and I don't know what to do or say ... He's the only kid out there that has these issues and we are frustrated, concerned and stumped. Outside of sports in public he's very shy but at home he's energetic, boisterous and active. Help?!?

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.