Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Teen Cant Wake Up in the Morning
cjshume posted:
My 16 year old teenager has been fighting this problem for about 10 months.

It started when he could not sleep and could not do his homework. We could not wake him in the morning to go to school. We tried everything, even dragging him out of bed to the kitchen table. But it was like dragging a corpse. Sometimes he would collapse on the floor sobbing. He just never seemed happy.

He was treated for mild depression and add. This did not help much. He might go to school once or twice a week. Sometimes he would come home early complaining of not feeling well. He could not focus and keep up with the required work. When he did not get out of bed, he would sometimes sleep for 18 hours. His hygeine even began suffering. And his appetite dwindled.

We began seeing a psychologist and changed his medication. No real change occurred over the next few weeks. We then went to a psychiatrist who changed his medication again, with a treatment focusing on anxiety. Nothing. When he meets with friends on the weekend he seems ok, but doesn't get out much. He went on a 5 day retreat without us and only had 1 day where he was having anxiety issues.

He is now going to summer school to get caught up. But he only makes 1 class day out of 4 and most times comes home early feeling bad.

We have an online school lined up for him in the fall, but he really wants to go to a regular school with his friends and says it will be different. But after a half day at school he is now sleeping and we cant wake him. We tried threats, discipline, taking things away, being overly supportive. We don't know what to do anymore. No medications have helped and urging him to fight thru it is futile. He seems to be as frustrated with it as we are.

I hope this wasn't too long. It was even a bit condensed, but we are getting desperate. If someone can point us in a different direction we would be so thankful.

momuv4girls responded:
This is very difficult, and I really feel for you and empathize!!!

I have had similar issues with my 13 year old.......

There is no easy fix here (*sorry*), but the very best advice I can offer is, 1st: don't give up !!! There is hope, but finding a really good, smart, knowledgeable Child Psychiatrist can be difficult.

I would find a (preferably) male Child/adolescent Psychiatrist who will evaluate your son (this is typically over 3 or more visits). You then must take your son at least every 30 days to see the Dr. to discuss how he is feeling, his medications and go thru the medicine trials...

Medication trials can be tough - - not all children respond the same way, so medication is very individual and trials are necessary, but often times frustrating.

There is great cause for hope though, once a medication is found helpful, life can get back to normal, and your son can feel better........so, keep the faith !!!!

Here is a link to find a local Child Psychiatrist - - hope this helps some, take care !!
http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Resources/CAP_Finder.aspx
-Kathleen

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.