Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Baby girl's vagina closing
An_253135 posted:
My 8 month old was examined by her dr., who told me her vagina opening was closing. It seemed like she may have hurt my baby when she re-opened it, because she cried really hard. She said to rub Vaseline on it to prevent it from closing. Is this something doctors do now?? I was kind of freaked out having my baby examined like that. My mom said the doctors never checked us down there when we were babies. If this is part of a normal exam, when does that part of it end? I don't want my little girl thinking being looked at or touched there is a normal thing.
Also this vagina closing problem, is it common, is anyone else going thru this with their baby girls?

fcl responded:
Your mother may not have noticed the doc checking you when you were a baby but I'm pretty sure they did. Your daughter appears to have labial adhesions. It's a fairly common problem and nothing to worry about. Here's a link to some information on the subject:

http://www.chop.edu/healthinfo/labial-adhesions.html

So, yes, it's a common part of an examination and please try to make the difference between just anyone looking at and touching your child's genitals and a doctor doing so. You don't want your child being afraid to go to the doctor (particularly a gyno) when she's older because of fear of being touched and looked at

An_253135 replied to fcl's response:
Thank-you for responding. I will check out the link you provided. And yes of course I will explain the difference to her as soon as she is a bit older & can understand. Guess being a new mom has me overly concerned & very protective.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.