Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    6 year old boy with buried penis, unique situation, advice PLEASE!!
    An_253193 posted:
    Hi everyone,

    I am completely new to this message board and message boards in general but I need advice and don't know where else to turn. I have a 6 year old nephew with what appears to be a buried penis. It looks like a belly button where a penis should be, and simple google searches have confirmed my biggest fear, that he has a buried penis. Our situation is not a typical one. My nephew grew up without a father so my husband basically took on the role of being his father figure because he is an amazing man with a huge heart. We have our nephew at our house constantly, especially in the summertime. My sister in law, his mother, is semi-absent and is more concerned with her own life than her sons. Not always, but a considerable amount of time. My husband and I love this little boy and treat him as if he were our own. I have an 8 year old son from a previous marriage and my husband has taken him on as his own as well. When it comes to my son, we obviously make sure the right things are being done because we have complete control over the situation. However with my nephew it's a different story. When his mother doesn't like what we're saying, she then decides to be a mother, tells us we have no say and ignores serious problems, such as this one. The free 24/7 available babysitting and care of her child though she of course has no problem with, but I digress. We confronted her about his buried penis last year and she said she took him to his pediatrician and he said its fine. Which comforted us until we found out she never took him to his pediatrician and she just decided to ignore the problem. So with that background info here's my question: How serious is this type of situation? Will he outgrow it? Are there treatments available to help? I can't bear to think about my sweet, sensitive, loving little nephew being tortured at school in the locker room because of something he has no control over. If we need to take him to a doctor behind her back because she's either lazy, in denial, or both we will, but I've never had to deal with anything like this before and I don't even know where to start. He has no pediatrician, he was enrolled in kindergarten 3 weeks late because she hadn't brought him to a pedi in years and he had none of his shots. My poor MIL and FIL asked me to get my sons pedi's info and had to pay for everything out of pocket so they could do a rush job and get him up to par. My husband and I had no idea or else obviously we would have taken him ourselves. Should we start by bringing him to a pediatrician, or should we skip that and go directly to a pediatric urologist? Does anyone have any experience with this and know if and what kind of treatments or even surgeries there are for this? We love him like he was our own, and I will do everything I can to make sure this problem is solved. Thank you so much and I hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
    momuv4girls responded:
    A pediatric urologist is who needs to see your Nephew - - from what I have read, and understand, this type of issue is not unheard of, but a specialist is needed to help correct the situation.

    Taking care of your Nephew is a tricky situation at best. Have you ever consulted a family law attorney about the Mother's lack of care? Do you want to move to get custody of him?

    I don't believe you can seek out care for him, unless you are his legal guardian. I would try to do that. I would seek out a good family law attorney, and discuss your legal rights.

    Take care,

    Helpful Tips

    Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
    Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.