Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

My son just started is pulling his eyelashes out this summer.
An_253233 posted:
My 5 year old is pulling his eyelashes out. They are almost all gone! I believe it's a stress thing since it all started about a month before his little sister was born (in May 2013) We thought we had it handled. By reminding him to stop whenever we saw it and by spending extra time with him. But now, he is at it again and I believe he is stressing out because his cousin who is about the same age is living with us temporarily. Her mother has been in the hospital and will be getting out soon so I know that stressor will be over soon. I need ideas of how to help him. We are actively trying to reduce the stress he is experiencing but the next stressor is Kindergarten in less than a month! I spoke with him today and he thinks it will help if we see him doing it to tell him to stop... but we can't be with him ALL of the time! He says he does it while in bed and I have caught him doing it in front of the TV. Today I discovered my tweezers missing and he admitted to taking them to pull out his eyelashes. Help!

momuv4girls responded:
This is called trichotillomania. Here is a really good link that explains it and offers ideas of how to treat it.

http://www.trich.org/

You are right to be concerned, and good for you for reaching out.

Take care !!
-Kathleen

meredithk1 replied to momuv4girls's response:
I followed the link and used a few tips. I think my little guy was stressed out.

He occasionally rubs his eyes now and when he sees that I see him with his fingers on his eye he says, 'mom it's OK I'm just rubbing!' It's become pretty much a non issue now.

I tried to help him without making too big of a deal out of it. I didn't want my concern to stress him out more. I asked him what would help and he told me that we could remind him to stop when we see him. We talk and I also keep him busy with other things so he can have a positive outlet for his energy. No idle hands.

Thanks for your reply!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.