Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

autism in toddlers
An_253263 posted:
I have a 13 yr old grandson who was diagnosed with autism at around 3 1/2. Before he could even walk his mother kept the tv on music videos and I noticed that each time the video ended he was on the screen touching the letters from the rolling credits. He was miserable in crowds. He couldnt stand noise. He would just scream if there were a lot of people around. He would focus on one item such as a lid to a jar and spend hours pushing it back and forth across the room with repetitive actions. When he began to walk there was a lot of hand flapping and pacing. I told the mother I thought he was autistic and she was in complete denial. When at 3 he wasnt talking she said the pediatrician said kids develop at different stages. My response was so he understands that your 3yr old doesn't say mama or bye bye? At 3 1/2 he wanted to talk so bad. He would open his mouth and make noises but jot words. At that time he was finally diagnosed and entered an early childhood program. He was talking in complete sentences within 2 months. He was reading and adding before he was 5. He is a well adjusted teenager, he is a straight A student. Possibly a genius. If you suspect your child is autistic don't be afraid to hear a diagnosis. Seek early intervention.
I was looking up why my 2 year old nephew acts like he doesnt know his name and I ended up here. A family member has suggested he may be autistic and I said no way. He talks in what I consider to be normal speech for a 2yr old boy. He is greets you when he arrives and then he moves into his own world ignoring everyone. He is somewhat destructive but I kind of called that curious about whats inside the toy instead of the toy itself.
Moral is that maybe there is not a hard textbook diagnosis or pattern for abnormal or normal development or behavior but if you feel something is off seek the advice of a professional. Be specific. If you know its more than late development be persistent.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.