Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Refuses too eat
TheresaBell posted:
My daughter is 5 and had an episode of choking/vomiting about 7 months ago. Still till this day she will try to eat but has flash backs of choking and refuses to eat. Day by day it is a struggle we are now going on 13 days of not eating and drinking is minimal. I call her doctor every few weeks and he says not to worry, she'll eat when shes hungry. I can understand not to worry maybe for a week or two but its 7 months and things are not getting better. I think its a bigger problem then he thinks. I have tried the "starve" her out approach she doesnt care. I have done the " no offering" and eat what we have. And still nothing. I have done the "no talking" about food. I have tried the bribe approach "you can have any toy, games, iPod (which she really wants) or go to amusement park or any restaurant of her choice and nothing. I have gotten to the point of telling her we will have to go to the hospital as a scare tactic and she opted that she rather go to the hospital and get 10 needles in her arms and a tube in her throat because she just can not eat food. I actually drove to the ER went in and she said i am scared but i can not eat food. lets get this over with and give me the needles. Really? what child would opt for that?And begged with a fearful look and said, Please Mommy please I can not eat. And she rather get needles then eat. Call me crazy but to me that doesn't sound like a child as the doctor puts it "looking for attention" . I am at my wits end. What can I do to help my child? I am truly scared.

momuv4girls responded:
I have heard of a child doing this before - actually a friend of mine's daughter.

I think you are right to be concerned, and that's too bad the Dr. isn't really taking you serious.

This is a real issue, and is probably anxiety based - she is SO scared of choking, so scared that no matter what you say - it won't get her to eat.

I highly suggest you finding a really good "food therapist", or feeding therapist to work with your daughter. It may not be easy to find a "food therapist", but they are out there. Take your time, make phone calls, go talk to a center or a few Dr.s, then take your daughter in.

Here are a few links for you to get the idea of what you need to look for in your area.

http://www.childrensfeedingtherapy.com/

https://www.stjosephshealth.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=272&Itemid=540

Take care, and let me know how it goes!!
-Kathleen

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.