Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Occasional, painful urination in 7 year old daughter. Only at nite. Not UTI?
tdloskot posted:
I have a 7 year old daughter who for about the last year has begun to have some significant pain after urinating. There is a lot of odd information about her situation so I will simply put them in list form.

1. This never happens during the day. Only at night after she has gotten up to use the restroom. She goes 1 — 2 times nightly.

2. This happens as many as three times in a week and has gone as long as three weeks between occurrences.

3. At times her pain is minor and it goes away quickly but at other times it is severe enough to have her screaming and crying in pain and has lasted for hours.

4. The pain comes and goes while this is happening. It's not a constant pain but rather a sharp intense pain that comes on quickly and then subsides momentarily and then comes back on.

5. She expresses that the pain is primarily in the vaginal area closer to the skin rather than inside.

6. We've been to the Doctors office multiple times. She's had two negative UTI tests. We completed a urination tracking chart that indicated normal urination frequency for a child her age.

7. She was then tested to see if she was clogged up (Poo) and she was. The Doctor recommended using a variety of over the counter products to help clear her out and assured us this was the problem. He tried to explain it but I never saw the relation between being clogged up and having such a specific pain. We have been giving her the products and monitoring her stool frequency for well over a month now and there has been no resolve. She poos daily if not twice a day and this seems quite normal to me.

8. We are a healthy family and she maintains a healthy diet as well. No soda, minimal sweats and lots of water.

We are at the point of changing Doctors to get a second opinion since through multiple visits having had no resolution. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.