Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

9 year old sharing a bed with his Gran
lynvik posted:
I was just after a bit of advise from people, i live in the uk I'm in a lesbian relationship but I have a 9 year old son from a previous relationship. I just recently moved back to my mums house and kind of wishing I never even though I moved back due to her ill health. My son was in a routine at our old address and had his own room and own bed which he would sleep in with out a problem, how ever his routine has become all messed up since I moved back with my mum, she lets him sleep in bed with her even though he has his own room and his own bed, she also lets him do as he likes all the time and keeps feeding him he's put on loads of weight. And then when he's playing up she says I have to see to him but she doesn't see that it's how she's treating him that's giving him this behaviour. Some nights he stays up until 12am until she goes to bed so that he can sleep in bed with her and then he's knackered for school the next day. She drinks a bottle of wine every single night and well I'm getting fed up with it all. Me and my partner have tried for the last two nights to get him sleeping in his own bed and he's completely played up and cried his eyes out and when I ignore h for a while my mum tells me I am the worse parent he's just a kid, and that I'm upsetting him. I'm actually trying to get him in his own bed and give him some sort of routine but she keeps undermining me and it's not helping at all. I don't know what I should do any help would be great full for because it's also causing a rift between me and my partner. Thank you.

momuv4girls responded:
I would move out - - and fast.

You and your son need your own space.......staying where you are is undermining your authority as a parent and unhealthy for your son.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.