Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

How to keep child in his own bed?
tristaj90 posted:
My son turns 2 on the 27th (so about 1.5 weeks)...

The last 3 weeks he's been waking up in the middle of the night and then my husband will go get him and then just bring him into our bed. I suspect he's getting his 2 yr molars as well as the fact he's got a cough/runny nose so he's sick...

Well last week we converted his crib into a toddler bed and kept all doors shut except his room and our room. He has no access to any other rooms. The first night he fell asleep on our couch, we moved him to his bed and he woke up (we tried about 3 times to move him) and we were tired so we gave up and he slept with us. The 2nd night he actually slept in his bed. The 3rd night he slept in his bed and then we woke up to find he had crawled in on daddys side of our bed without waking either of us...the 4th night he stayed asleep when put to bed in his own bed and then stayed there all night. the 5th night he stayed alseep while in his own bed and then woke up in the middle of the night and walked to my side of our bed and almost seemed like he was going to sleep on the floor so I grabbed him and brought him into our bed. Last night he came into our room and my husband brought him onto our bed and I wasn't aware of it until much later in the night.

How do we get him to stay in his own bed? I don't really want to shut our bedroom door and I know it's a transition period for him. If we were to shut our door he'd scream and hit and cry and if we never opened the door I bet he'd be on the floor in front of our door, sleeping, if we ever walked out.

Any advice/tips?
Thank you!

a_pugs_person responded:
Unfortunately, the work here falls to you. If you and your husband both want to teach him to sleep in his own bed then you have to both enforce him being put in his bed or going back to his bed.

When I married my husband his 6 year old daughter was doing the same thing.
He would converse logically with me during the day about it and say he would try to help (I absolutely can't sleep if she even comes in the room). But in the middle of the night, he doesn't fully come awake/aware and either let her in the bed or on the floor beside him.

It took a long time of me getting up in the middle of the night and taking her back to her bed; him talking with her in the day time about sleeping in her bed; correcting her when she would say WHEN I wake up I'm coming.... (instead of IF I wake up - I was convinced for a while she had her internal clock set because it was about the same time every night/morning); telling her to go back to bed and listening to her whine; and even trying to find bribes or incentives for her to stay in her own room.

She's gotten a lot better in almost 2 years, but she still sometimes tries it. More than coming in our bed now she goes to her older sister's.

There just has to be consistency. Draw the line that he sleeps in his bed and then walk the line even though it's hard.
I know that's easier said than done, but I haven't found anything else that's worked.

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.