Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Leaving your child home alone opinions
An_254589 posted:
My husband and me left our 10 yr old son home alone for a couple hours after he insisted that he wanted to do it and wanted the responsibility. We were less than 5 minutes away, we practiced calling and did speak multiple times during those two hours, and we had gone over all the safety rules and what to do in case of an emergency. Also, he knows several of the neighbors pretty well and is friends with their kids. We learned later that this upset one of his grandparents. Now I want a poll on what the general consensus is for this situation. Comments please...

momuv4girls responded:
It sounds like a reasonable thing to me.

I believe leaving a child home alone should be based on maturity of the child, and it sounds like your son is responsible and mature.

You called and checked on him, you weren't far away, and you didn't leave him for too long.

Children need to know their parents trust them and think they're capable of taking care of themselves.

I don't know why the Grandparent would be upset? Sounds like you guys did a good job to me.

Take care,
-Kathleen

a_pugs_person responded:
"one of his grandparents"
I'm guessing your husband's parents (most likely mother).

Resposibilty has to be learned and trust has to be earned (usually). How do you know your son is responsible and can be trusted if you don't test the waters?

By 10, kids should know what's off-limits in the home, and you say you weren't far and checked in periodically.

I wouldn't leave our 10 year old, but that doesn't mean others aren't ready to be home alone for a bit.

Someone probably needs to discuss this with the grandparent. They may have gotten the wrong impression or may just be overstepping their bounds. Either way, you and your husband are the parents and have the right and responsibility of making decisions for/with your son.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.