Skip to content


Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Family resistance
An_254803 posted:
My partner and I have been married for close to 18 years And my relatives do not accept us and my kids who are beautiful bright have suffered not having relatives to interact with specialy during Xmas also my wife has suffered emotionally for years. It's not right what have we done to deserve this just because I married my cousin and just wanted a normal family life which most get it's very hurtful and I am feeling this pain enormously
fcl responded:
There is nothing you can do to change your relatives but you CAN change how you react to them. I'd suggest therapy for you and your wife to learn how to process and deal with this rejection in order to liberate yourselves from it. It's their loss, not yours.

As for your children not suffering from not having family to interact with ... tell yourself that TONS of children are in the same boat (my family lives in another country at the other end of the continent) but don't "suffer" because of it. they grow up with different ideas, that's all. It's often the parents who sow the seeds of this kind of suffering (by putting the right ideas into their heads) so please beware of this and try to avoid it. Learn to make the most of the holidays as a family unit and enjoy your friends.

Happy holidays!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.