Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

X-rays and Toddlers
An_255108 posted:
My almost 3 year old has had so many x rays that I am beginning to worry about the amount. I know that X-rays can be harmful if a person is pregnant and it can hurt other organs but when do doctors decide that someone has had too many? It is typical for her to be sick for up to a whole month and have 2 xrays a week for 4 weeks at a time. Her first year of life she had close to 100 x rays. The amount has tapered off but she averaged about 50-75 from age 1-2. and since being 2 she has had maybe 25-40. Can there be some long term issues later in life? will she become sterile?

atti_editor responded:
Hi and thank you for posting!

I understand your worries and think that this might be a good concern for you to bring up with your daughter's doctors. I am fairly sure that they would not conduct unnecessary x-rays, but letting them know about your worries may put your mind at ease. Here is some information that I found on x-rays and steps you can take to reduce your daughter's radiation risk.

Best wishes

-Atti

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.