Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

PreSchool
An_255436 posted:
Is it really worth for 3-4 year kids to go to Pre-School before Kindergarden?

atti_editor responded:
Hi and thank you for posting,

I think that the decision to send your child to preschool or not really depends on your child and his/her development and desire to go to school, the schools in your area, and any financial factors. Preschool is meant to help your child develop basic language and math skills to prepare them for kindergarten, as well as social and emotional skills that will help them to get along with other children (sharing for example). This WebMD article explores the topic a little more and has a good list of exercises that you can do at home to develop reading, writing, language and math skills.

You might also find it helpful to post your question in either our Parenting: 3-Year-Olds Community or our Parenting: 4 & 5-Year-Olds Community , depending on your child's age. Our active members there might have some great advice or personal experiences to share with you.

Best wishes,
Atti

lenono97 responded:
I agree with the PP. It really depends on the child. We chose to send my 4 year old, now 5 year old the pre-school this year. She will attend Kidergarten in the fall. Our main reason was for socialization with other kids. I stay home part time. When I work she stays with grandparents. Therefore, not around other kids much. She knows her numbers, ABC's, etc so I am not worried about that stuff. We chose two days a week for financial reasons as well. She loves going to pre-school and being with the other kids. So yes, I think it is worth it.

fcl responded:
I live in France. Pre-school is free but not obligatory. Nearly 100% of all children go from 3 to 6 years old. I very much approve. Children learn to respect each other, work together, eat together, look after themselves and become pretty autonomous. It also prepares them for school.

mariajohnson responded:
I too think it depends on your child. In pre-school kids learn to interact, talk, learn, play, etc. and this would be beneficial for them.

An_255856 responded:
Yes. Our 4 year old is already reading, all thanks to pre-school.

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.