Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

My 4 yr old - excessive night sweats, always tired, tummy, leg and head aches randomly
harchmob posted:
Hi, I'm wondering if any other parent has experienced this with their child and the outcome. I have 4 yr old twins, and usually they are active - never stopping and healthy! Lately one has been sick off and on with everything from colds, flu, respiratory infections, croup etc because they were premmie I have been told that makes them more susceptible but I feel one is generally more sick than the other. He sweats excessively at night to the point I have to remake his bed, change his clothes and change pillows because a new pillow slip won't cut it! He is always tired, when we go walking he needs to rest several times to walk the same distance as his brother, when playing in the park he will come and sit down periodically with me, when riding his bike he tires quickly. Since January he has complained of headaches, tummy aches and leg aches - all the time. I notice he has dark circles under his eyes also. I used to think it was school making him tired but he just as tired on weekends.. I took him to the dr today who said he thinks it's abdominal migraines before assessing him, was prepared to write a script and say goodbye. I refused the script saying I don't think he suffers from them at all and that I would like some blood tests done because he is just not the same happy, active little boy he was 6 maths ago. He looked at me like I'm a hypochondriac but sent us for blood tests. Regardless of the result I am changing doctors. But want I want to know is if any other parent has been thru this with their child ?? B

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I have no experience with abdominal migraines. But it could be a combination of things. It could be abdominal migraine, the symptoms of migraines differ from person to person but if you have ever ahd a migraine you know if makes you feel terrible. But whats more concerning is if its happening so frequently. I am glad you asked for blood tests, do you know which blood tests? Checking for anemia, thyroid, diabetes, etc... would be good. I would be more inclined to ask for a a referral to pediatric neurology as well, if they feel its all related to migraines. They would be able to confirm or deny that diagnoses and run additional tests.

atti_editor responded:
Hi harchmob,

I think that the suggestions hgreenwood7058 gave are great. Hopefully you are able to learn something from the blood tests, and testing for anemia, thyroid problems, etc is a good idea as well. Anemia can present itself as easy fatigue, headache particularly with exercise, leg cramps etc, which sound similar to what you describe. The link above has more information. I also found this article about abdominal migraines -- it too lists headaches, dark shadows under the eyes and listlessness among other things. I am glad that you pushed to have further testing done to determine exactly what is happening with your son -- you want to be sure that you are treating him for the right thing.

Best wishes,
Atti

harchmob replied to atti_editor's response:
Thank you both for your advice, I think I will ask for a referral to a paediatrician - to check everything, I never actually checked the form to see what he was testing for as the pathology was right next door I know one was full blood count. I will update when I know something xx

harchmob replied to harchmob's response:
Ok his blood work has come back and he has eosinophilia - this is a component of the white blood cells made in the bone marrow - his levels Are elevated normal range is .04 a .06. James reading was 1.12. This can be due to many things including asthma, eczema, hay fever, allergic reactions and many diseases, blood disorders and cancers inclu leukaemia. James does not have any hay fever or allergic reactions or asthma so the dr is sending him for more in depth blood work and also referring to a paed so will see what happens in the next few weeks. One thing I did specifically ask was about the night sweats - I was told this is completely abnormal and should always be considered serious as it is a side effect of many illnesses - I will keep u posted and thank u for ur advice xx

atti_editor replied to harchmob's response:
I am glad that you are getting answers. Please do keep us posted on how he is doing and what you find!

Best wishes,
Atti

Thanks atti - the appt with paediatrician is next Thursday so hopefully we will know more then

harchmob replied to harchmob's response:
Update - his next blood work came thru - no infections, negative to Ross river, brahma Forrest, asthma, glandular fever and parasite ?? GP said that all I can do is wait to see what the Paediatrician appt tomorrow brings. In the meantime his teacher has set up a rest area in the classroom to help James rest with the fatigue on the days he does attend though she is very concerned that he cannot keep up the physical activity with his peers, so far I'm none the wiser, but I guess it's a process of elimination. Hoping we get some answers soon

Hi harchmob,

Were you able to get any answers at the pediatrician appointment? I hope so! I think that it's great your son's teacher is so accommodating.

Best wishes,
Atti

The paediatrician has ordered a chest x ray, stool test and a more extensive blood test looking at immunodeficiency diseases, leukemia, T cell, inflammatory diseases , white cell function and appearance, and his immune system. Won't know the results of all this now till 15 April. The paediatrician was wonderful and thorough and seems determined to get to the bottom of this. Which is so reassuring as a parent. I will update u after the 15th I'm sure with good news that he has greatly improved and all is well

I am glad that you have found such a dedicated pediatrician! You all will be in my thoughts until the 15th. I too am sure you will have all good news to report

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.