Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

My child won't eat after "near choking" incident
rsjc1062 posted:
It has been over 3 weeks since my 7 year old daughter had a "near choking" incident on a pretzel. She was able to cough it up but it scared her to death and she will hardly eat anything for fear she will choke again. I know this is a normal reaction but my question is "how long is too long?" She has lost several pounds and I have taken her to her pediatrician and they do not believe there is anything physical that would stop her from being able to swallow food. I have tried to not make a big deal out of it and I make sure she eats at the table with the rest of us. She will occasionally eat small amounts of soft chicken but prefers mashed potatoes, cottage cheese and yogurt. That is really about all I can get in her and per her doctor, have been supplementing her diet with Pediasure. She has always been a picky eater and she is small to begin with and she has been acting out more than normal which I attribute to hunger. She is not eating lunch at school, even though I pack it myself with things I think she will eat. The anxiety this is causing for me as a mother is beyond words and when she goes to her father's for the weekend, her grandmother coddles her and her father has a strict "swalllow it now" approach which I strongly disagree with. Her father is now insisting that I take her for tests because he thinks it is a physical problem but I know my child and I can see her fear. Please help...what else can I do and, most importantly, how long can I wait before it becomes detrimental to her nutrition needs? Also, should I subject her to invasive tests when I believe it is fear and anxiety? She doesn't express being uncomfortable when it is not meal time and will say things while eating such as , "it doesn't happen every time I eat, right?" I keep the conversation at mealtime on everything other than her fear of eating. I'm very worried and don't know whether to take her for testing or find a phycologist or just wait it out and if I need to wait it out, for how long? Any advice would be appreciated as I don't know what to do at this point.

momuv4girls responded:
When an incident such as this happens, it can cause a child such severe anxiety that they just won't eat - - it happened to my friends daughter.

I highly suggest you finding a "feeding therapist" - yes, there are such a thing! My friend found one for her daughter, and she was SO helpful.

Now depending on where you live, one may be not as easy to find (if you live in a more rural area). You may need to do some research......call the local Hospital Children's Dept., call local Child Nutritional Services - something along those lines, to get a referral of someone who can help young ones.
Here is a link I found - - it would be great to find something along these lines:
http://www.chp.edu/CHP/feedingclinic

Take care, and the best of luck to you and your daughter!!
-Kathleen

rsjc1062 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you so much for the response. We are making slow but steady progress and we do live in a rural area so I will definitely research feeding therapists and see what I can come up with. I knew she needed more psychological help then physical to help her overcome her fear but never new a feeding therapist existed. Thank you again for your response and the link.

momuv4girls replied to rsjc1062's response:
You're so very welcome! I hope you are able to find some local resources for your daughter.

Take care!!
-Kathleen

mommytomason8 responded:
Hi there, can you tell me the progress with your daughter? I have an 8 year old son that choked about 7 weeks ago and now gets very anxious to the point it's hard for him to get full breathes. I tried the heimlich maneuver on him but it was to lodged and I had to call 911. I feel like he thinks I can not help him if it happens again. I have been able to get him to eat yogurt, vanilla icecream and will lick his food. it's becoming unbearable to watch. He's had an xray and seen his Dr and he said it will take time. Any suggestions?

bailee10 replied to rsjc1062's response:
Hello, how is your daughter? I to have the same problem now. My daughter is 10 and it's been since July 16th. She has lost weight and doesn't look good under her eyes. I'm going through so many emotions right now. I get scared and then angry. I took her to a doctor and he said when she gets hungry she will eat. I'm so worried. Please tell me your daughter is doing good now. I need some hope. As a mom I'm so fearful. I just don't know what to.

Thanks for your time.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.