Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

My seven year olds hair won't grow
An_256312 posted:
My 7 yr old daughters hair doesn't seem to be growing she has a lot of moles on her head I was wondering would this be the cause of it,she's tall and thin for her age and eats all her veg she's even had blood tests to rule anything out please can you help.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

I would guess that in your daughter's blood tests they checked for hypothyroidism, but if they did not cover it you may want to have her tested as it is a possible cause of poor hair growth.

Has her hair always been slow to grow, or have you noticed it thinning or falling out? Here are some possible causes of hair loss in children.

You might also want to ask her doctor about the possibility of loose anagen syndrome , which is most often first diagnosed in childhood and affects girls more so than boys. It's characterized by hair that never seems to grow and a scalp that is usually thin especially at the back. The hair is also easily pulled out. This syndrome usually improves with age.

I don't think that the moles are the cause of her poor hair growth, but it is important to keep an eye on them and to have your pediatrician or a dermatologist look at them regularly for any abnormalities or changes.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.