Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Baby's connection with Dad after 4 month seperation
An_256489 posted:
I am wondering if any of you give me some advice. I am living in Canada and my husband works abroad. I gave birth to our son 3.5 months ago(Dec.22) while my husband was away. My husband was able to take time off and the first time he met the baby was at three weeks. My husband was only able to stay for 2 weeks. (Jan.8-21) At 4 months,I will travel abroad and we will be reunited.

Though we have used Skype where the baby has had some interactions with my husband ,I am worried that my husband and baby won't connect. As well, I am worried that there baby will have trouble adjusting in a new country and with my husbands family.

Do you have any tips?

Thank you on advance.

Lindsay

atti_editor responded:
Hi Lindsay,

Here a little overview about bonding with your baby that you may find helpful. This article from Parenting has some good tips about how to create a daddy-baby connection that you and your husband may want to try -- things like making sure he has some alone time with your son so that they can create their own little routines and special moments, sharing feedings and sleeptime, and looking into the possibility of using a sling-type carrier to help them get closer. Please let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

mariajohnson responded:
I think 4 month old can have a good connection with dad because 4 month old do not understand much about people except for his mom. If he will see his dad daily he will recognize him and will have a good bonding.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.