Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Persistent low grade fever in a toddler
brittneyknox posted:
My daughter is two years old and has been waking up with a low grade fever in the morning. She is warm to touch when I get her up and if she seems hot I will take her temperature. She is between 99.1 and 102.5. She will be fussy and cranky in the morning but seems to be fine after a few hours. This will happen in the morning when she wakes up and also when she wakes up from her nap. We have tried to change the temperature in the room and give her a lighter blanket to sleep with. Nothing seems to change the situation. The doctors have checked her for an ear infection, and tested her urine everything came back negative. She is now seeming to get tired a lot more than normal. She will take a longer nap during nap time. She will also just want to sleep during periods of the day saying she is tired. The doctor is saying she is fine since they can not find anything wrong. I feel that something is wrong. This all started a little over a month ago before that she was a perfect healthy child. Has anyone else gone through this? Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I should go about this situation? I hate to see her suffer, but have no clue how to help.

mariajohnson responded:
Normal body temperature varies throughout the day, with the highest measured temps in the late afternoon and evening. Many of us, if we measure our temperatures every day, will have a temperature over 100.4 in the late afternoon. You can take a thyroid test of of your daughter.

atti_editor responded:
Hi brittneyknox,

How is your daughter feeling? Has your doctor run any blood tests to rule out things like mono? Because she seems to only be tired in the morning or after a nap, these things may be less likely, but covering all of the bases would be a good idea. I hope that you are able to find out what is going on, and that she is feeling better soon. Please keep us updated on how she is doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.