Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

HELP
An_256839 posted:
My soon to be 10 year old son will not sleep in his own bed and most of the time dont like to go upstairs on his own . He like to carry a teddy when we go out and he get upset very easy. he seems to be more a 7 year old what im i to do as not sure this is norm or not

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here are some developmental milestones for children ages 6-10 and then milestones specific to 10-year-olds . Does your son seem to be meeting a number of these milestones? Keep in mind that every child grows and develops at his/her own pace, so if he is excelling in some areas but is behind in others it may not be cause for concern.

Have you had a chance to speak with him about why he does not want to sleep in his bed or go upstairs by himself? It could be that he is afraid in which case you may be able to come up with a solution together (e.g. if he is scared of the dark a night light could provide some reassurance). If you are worried about him developmentally, you might voice your concerns to his pediatrician and see what he/she recommends. His school guidance counselor may also be able to give you some insight. Please let us know how he is doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.