Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Toddler constipation
An_257819 posted:
My almost three year old son gets constipated from time to time. I have specifically noticed it worsening now that we are potty training. I am trying to avoid giving him miralax, which is what his pediatrician has recommended. He eats a well balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein, and carbohydrates. He is also very active. I'm at a loss as to how to get him more regular without relying on medications.

atti_editor responded:
Hello,

Here is some information on constipation in toddlers that you may find helpful. It includes some possible causes you might consider as well as treatment option you could try. It could be that the potty training is worsening his constipation as this excerpt from the above link says, "Some children are embarrassed or afraid to use the toilet, especially when it's a public restroom. Toddlers who rebel against the toilet training process sometimes express their power struggle in a refusal to go." Please let us know how you and your son are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.