Skip to content
Allergic Reaction to Tanning Lotion
kwathen posted:
My two year old may be having an allergic reaction. Yesterday my younger sister who had just gone tanning in a indoor tanning saloon using lotion was holding my daughter. The lotion rubbed off on my daughter and now she has red splotchees all over her from the neck down. Is this common? Is there anything I can give her or a certain lotion to help it go away?
teeny79 responded:
Give her benedryl. My son did this when i put a certain brand of sunscreen on him. His cheeks and ears were swollen,hot and really red because i had put it on him really thick on his face and ears . The rest of his body had a rash where i had put the sunscreen on but not as thick. Her redness and splotchs will probably last a few days. Give her the benedryl round the clock until it gets better.
Dr__Parker responded:
Benadryl is a good idea. i have to say, I'm not at all sure the rash is from the lotion if it is allover her body, not just where the lotion touched it. What else might she be allergic to?
kwathen responded:
thank you. i'm not too sure its the lotion anymore either. last night she had a really high fever about 102 (from the ear) and her rash is still all over. i haven't yet tried the benedryl and i will. i gave her ibprophen last night (4:30am) and she wasn't so warm this morning. by this afternoon, her temp has not gone back up. she has no allergies that are known. :confused:
kwathen responded:
Also...I am considering scarlet fever, and taking her to the doctor in the morning if things aren't better. Other symptoms include bad breath (with no tooth decay and we brush regularly) and she has been stuffy for 3 days now.

Helpful Tips

Lavender Oil stopped Night Terros
My 10 year old son has suffered from night terrors for over 5 years now. Generally happens when he is sick, over tired or too hot in bed. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.