Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

puffy eyes in my 4 year old
samarasmom26 posted:
hello i am new here to this forum but I am lost and not sure what to think. My daughter well actually all my kids get allergy shiners and my boys definately suffer from allergies. My daughter has never had allergies or sneezes or anything like that that would indicate that she does. Well today she woke up and not just did she have allergy shiners but her lower eye lids were way swollen. THey were not red and didnt bother her. Now from what Ive read about allergy shiners and from my experience with allergies the shiners only make your eyes looked bruised. There is no swelling UNLESS you rub your eyes and irriate them. But like I said she does not suffer from allergies and hr lower lids are swollen. any ideas what this may be from. Ive read online that neprhosis is common in children in ages 2 to 6 and she fits that but her swelling is only in her eyes. Any suggestions that you can give would be greatly appreciated

Dr__Parker responded:
Allergic reactions (as opposed to allergic shiners) can certainly cause swollen eyes and that is what I woulod bet is going on. But to what? Yes, there can be other causes, but these occur in the contexst of other symptoms, which apparently she does not have, and tend not be be fleeting.. Give her an antihistamine and let's see how if gores from here. if the swelling persists or gets worse in some way, have her pedi take a look.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.