Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Omega 3 help w/child speech delay?
Malkia_zuri posted:
My brother is 3 years old and has a speech/developmental delay. However, he is taking occupational and speech therapy to assist in his mental development. He completely understands verbal direction and is other wise very smart and cunning despite his delay. I have read online blogs from mothers that claim Omega 3's can help with a child's mental development and speech (specifically the Nordic Natural fish oil gummy chews for kids). Therefore, is there any link between Omega 3's and a child's speech improvement? Should I encourage my mother to try this with him?

Thanks!

Stephensmom1214 responded:
We tried it for a while, but DS stopped wanting to take them. IMO, Omega 3s may or may not have any effect, but I don't think they can hurt. She might as well try them!

mariaf311 responded:
It can't hurt. A lot of parents have reported success with it. We tried Nordic Naturals with my son right around 2-2.5 yrs. His speech did improve, but I don't know how much of it was just him maturing. I received most of my information and got a lot of questions answered from an apraxic group in yahoo. You should also know that my son was going to Speech Therapy and at that time for 2 hours of individual speech therapy. Right around the time we stopped taking Nordic Naturals he started a group speech class which is structured just like a preschool playgroup. It was then that I noticed his speech improving. I think he was placed in a situation to use his speech. My son's speech has improved a lot. He still has some issues, though everything seems more age appropriate now. Good luck!

Malkia_zuri responded:
Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.