Skip to content
Intro
sheekstarr posted:
I had no idea there was a premmie board lol and Ive been around webmd since 2005! Anyway My name is Debbie. I have a 14 month old son and a 4 day old baby girl who was born 4 wks premature. She weighed 4lbs11oz and 17 inches. No time in the NICU and had a perfect 9/9 on her apgars. We only stayed in the hossy 2 days after birth!

Anyway, I also have a question. She seems to only eat 10cc at a time and thats every half hr to an hr. Sometimes she wants to have long stretches of sleep but I try to wake her at least every 2 hrs. I want her to eat at least 20cc at a time (we are talking about an ounce at a time) but she wont have it. Do you think Im expecting to much from her? Should I just let her direct me? She looks like she put on a little weight because her face looks fuller (not her arms and legs though) but I wont know for sure till her appt saturday. She has slight jaundice and is on the bili blanket too so I want her to eat! She has poop diapers at every changing. A sign that she's getting enough?

simerlm responded:
Hi, Debbie! Welcome to the preemie board. I "know" you from the 1 year board. I don't know if you recognize my name or not. Anyhow, for your question, I'm just going to share what schedule for eating my DD was on. I hope that it will help you out some.

In the NICU, they had her on a 3 hour schedule. So, we just continued that when we got home. When she was released, she was 4 lbs. She was eating 1 1/2 oz every 3 hours. She was eating 2 oz by the time she was 5 lbs. She had jaundice when she was born, but was being fed through a tube at that point, so I can't help you there. So, that's what my DD was doing was doing when she was about the size of yours now.

It sounds like she is doing really well. Poop in every diaper is a good sign!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mother to a wonderful daughter and am excited to begin my adventure as a moderator with WebMD. I have past experience as a medical tran...More

Helpful Tips

How to Upload a Photo to Your Post!
With all of the fun holidays coming up from Halloween and Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Years, there will be a multitude of precious ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.