Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
he is finally coming home
emykitten posted:
Well my son born at 29 weeks due to my high blood pressure. He has been in the nicu for almost 3months now and i try to go up there as much as possible. Just yesterday they told me he would be coming home in a few days. Now im freakin out... He will be coming home on oxygen. But im so scared that he isnt going to know who i am and im not going to know what to do. I have hardly slept since they told me he was coming home. Im not saying im not super excited im just scared im not going to know what to do or im going to mess something up. He is very strong he has learned how to breath without a tube down his throat, he has learned how to suck on a bottle in just a few weeks and it has gained so much weight, he was only 2lbs when he was born now he weights 7lbs!!! He is just doing so well im scared as soon as he comes home something will go wrong and it will be my fault

simerlm responded:
Relax. It will be okay. Does your hospital have an option to room in? Before they would let my daughter come home, we had to spend the night in the hospital with her to prove that we could handle her care. They will give you tons of information on everything regarding his care. Ask as many questions as you can think of. Write everything down if it will help. He sounds like he is doing well. 7 lbs. is amazing! You will be just fine. They wouldn't let him go home if they thought that something would go wrong. Congratulations on finally getting to bring your son home! You will do a great job!

emykitten responded:
Yes actually we aregoing monday to spend the night. and if everything goes well he will be home on tuesday. Thanks for your encouragement

jmcl responded:
hi there! I hope everything is going well for your family. my dd was born oct 17 at 29 wks due to pre-e as well. we brought her home dec. 3 after her 7wk stay in the nicu. i was a little overwhelmed too but you can do this. they wouldn't allow him to go home unless they felt he was ready. gracyn was 4lbs and 11 oz the day they released her. 7lbs is amazing, he's doing great and so will you. congrats!

newmommy1209 responded:
Hey my ds was in the nicu for 2 1/2 weeks (i know nothing compared to 3 months) but i was also worried that he wouldn't know me and I wouldn't know what to do. But let me tell you when you bring your son home oh man it is just so amazing how things just fall into place. it is the most amazing feeling to know you can hold him and tell him you love him whenever you feel the need. i am sure it will be fine. plus if you ever have any questions the ladies on the message boards are just great.

cheeezie25 responded:
Hello! Sounds like you are getting a wonderful holiday present this year! I can totally imagine how scared you are to bring home your son... I felt completely overwhelmed and scared as well, and my son did not even come home on oxygen! Will your son have an apnea monitor as well? I never had this product, but I have heard alot of good things about the Angel Care Monitor from NICU nd non-NICU parents alike. Something like that may help to put your mind at ease. And don't worry about bonding issues either... believe me, he will KNOW you are his mommy! It is difficult to bond with your baby while he is still in the NICU because it is such an awkward, unnatural situation, but it will definitely come in time. Also, don't remember to take a little time for yourself as well. I did not sleep nearly enough when my son was in the NICU and for the first few months he was home, but if I had it to do over, I would worry little less and relax a little more! Good luck with your new little man!!

Jamelita responded:
Congratulations! I can clearly remember how frightened I was to bring my DD home. She was not on oxygen but she was only 4lb 8oz and my husband and I only had 24 hours notice that she was being released (we were originally told she would be there another week). Several days before her release she had had a few episodes of apnea so I was so scared that she would stop breathing at home! Neither DH nor myself slept the night before she came home and I barely slept for weeks after that. Eventually though, I gained confidence in her and in myself. I know that if I was doing it over again I would try to relax a little and accept more help from DH and others. I also know that I would try to appreciate her being a newborn, instead of just being scared all the time. You can do it, you'll be a great mom!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been moderating message boards at WebMD for 7 years now. Working within all area's of WebMD. I am the mother of 5 children. 4 boys rangin...More

Helpful Tips

How to Upload a Photo to Your Post!
With all of the fun holidays coming up from Halloween and Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Years, there will be a multitude of precious ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.