Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PREEMIE AND NOT ENOUGH BREASTMILK
kimorasmommy20 posted:
I am 20 years old and this is my first child. I had her at 27 weeks. Her neonatal doctor say use breast milk but I'm not producing enough to keep up with her. Is there anything I can take to help me with this. I will try anything I said when I had her I wanted to breastfeed I'm losing patience because I know its not enough :sad: I cant even get over an ounce now like what am i suppose to do :crying:

cheeezie25 responded:
It sounds like you are doing fine! It takes a really really long time to work up your supply when you are exclusively pumping. The pump is just not as efficient at extracting milk as a baby, so your supply may be low for a little while. Consistency is really key though. Just keep pumping regularly, and you will eventually see small, steady increases in your supply. I was never able to use breast milk exclusively with my DS, but around 4 months, I was finally pumping all but about 4 oz/ per day of what he would eat, which in my book is pretty good. Any amount you can give your baby will really benefit their digestive tract and will help their immune system... I never really believed the immune system part when I first gave birth, but my son is almost a year old and has never been sick with more than just a fluke puking session (knock on wood)! I can probably help you with some more advice, but it would be helpful to know how old your baby is now, how often you pump, what pump you are using, etc. Hang in there, sounds like you are doing your best and are a great mommy!

cheeezie25 responded:
Also, if you don't get too much of a response on this board (it can be slow at times), you should try posting your questions on the Breastfeeding board... those ladies can be very helpful as well.

simerlm responded:
HI. First I just wanted to say, "Congratulaions" on your daughter. What I did, in the beginning was to pump every three hours morning and night. I had a good supply going from that. I know that there are other things you can use from a health food store, like fenugreek and mother's milk tea that supposedly boost your supply. I don't really know anything about them. Also, try not to stress. Stress will lower your supply. Drink plenty of fluids. That's about all the advice that I have for you. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Are there any lactation consultants at the hospital. The NICU that I delivered at would call them for me. Maybe you could ask a nurse to help you get in contact with one. They know a whole lot about pumping as well as nursing. I'm sure that you are doing the best that you can. I'm sure that she is being fed, even if it isn't what you wanted. Hang in there. Having a preemie is emotional. You are doing great for even trying!

Jamelita responded:
I had a very hard time producing enough milk, mostly because after my DD was born I was pretty much unconscious for 48 hrs and couldn't start pumping right away. One of the pediatricians at the hospital wrote me a prescription for Reglan. I only used it for 2 weeks but it REALLY worked. I never had a supply issue again and went on to breastfeed my daughter for over a year. Ask your OB or one of the pediatricians about it.

kimorasmommy20 responded:
THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT AND I TRIED MOTHERS MILK TEA AND IT DOES NOT WORK AND I WILL ASK ABOUT THE REGLAN. MY BABY IS 7 WEEKS TODAY I USE A SYMPHONY PUMP BUT I DON'T KNOW WAT IS WRONG I TRY TO PUMP EVERY 3 HOURS SOMEBODY EVEN TOLD ME TO TRY EVERY HOUR

cheeezie25 responded:
Hello, If your baby is only 7 weeks old today, then 1 oz per session is pretty good! Chance are that she probably is only taking abut an ounce each feeding, so your body is actually producing exactly what it needs to! Just be consistent... pumping every three hours is pretty good. I know my LC pushed me to pump every 2 hours, but that just wasn't realistic. Actually one thing that was helpful for me was what my LC called a "power pumping" session. Basically, you pump for 10 minutes, and then rest for ten minutes, and you do this for an hour once a day. It did help me stimulate milk production a little bit. I was never actually able to do this once DS came home from the hospital, but it wasn't super hard to find the time for this when he was in the NICU. I just picked an hour show on TV I liked at night, and did it before I went to bed. HTH!

Danyelli responded:
What helped me was drinking a 16 oz bottle of water every time I pumped.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Jennifer, my husband David and I have two gorgeous baby girls. Our oldest is Lyla born August 2008 and Gracyn was born October 2009 at 29 wee...More

Helpful Tips

How to Upload a Photo to Your Post!
With all of the fun holidays coming up from Halloween and Thanksgiving to Christmas and New Years, there will be a multitude of precious ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.