Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Preemie hitting general milestones?
JennNThom posted:
Hi - My son was born at 30 weeks last October, his due date was 12/30 so he was 10 weeks early. He's been home from the NICU for a month and a half now and I'm just wondering how concerned I should be about him hitting 'milestones' such as smiling, babbling, grasping toys, etc by 3 months (I guess he'd actually only be about 1 month). Also, are there any typical developmental issues I should be aware of? I just want to be sure I'm staying on top of everything I can!

skerina responded:
I'm pretty new to being a mama to a preemie, but as I understand, you count from their original due date for milestones. So, he should be hitting the 1 month milestones around now. I couldn't say on typical developmental issues....haven't learned that part myself yet!

-Amber

Jamelita responded:
Amber is right. Don't expect anything beyond your baby's adjusted age as far as milestones. That doesn't mean he won't hit some of them early, just don't expect him to. My DD was born at 32 weeks and she was almost always two months "late" on everything from smiling to walking. It took her until around 16-18 months to be caught up to her actual age. It can be frustrating, especially when other kids the same age as yours are doing things on time. Just try to remember that eventually they will all be the same

JennNThom responded:
Great! Thanks for the info. I think I am just worried about any development delays they say preemies are prone to. Just want to make sure I can catch any issues as early as possible!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm Jennifer, my husband David and I have two gorgeous baby girls. Our oldest is Lyla born August 2008 and Gracyn was born October 2009 at 29 wee...More

Helpful Tips

Pumping in the NICU
It has been a little while since I stopped pumping, and it has been much much longer since DS has been in the NICU, but I thought I would ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 26 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.